Summer officially starts on Sunday June 20th, however warmer weather which allows one to enjoy Edmonton's great outdoors often arrives much earlier. Find your summer gear including shades, sunscreen, and insect repellant, and begin taking advantage of the great outdoors!
Explore Edmonton's "Ribbon of Green" as a start, or go a little farther out to Devon or Fort Saskatchewan in our world-class continuous and connected trail system along the North Saskatchewan River Valley. It's perfect for a quiet walk alone or with friends, or for other forms of active transportation such as biking, skateboarding and roller blading. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the ambience of the various river valley parks. Along the way are many opportunities for a park picnic or just reflection.
Outdoor pool season begins June 22, 2022 when Queen Elizabeth outdoor pool opens to the public. Oliver and Fred Broadstock outdoor pools and Borden Natural Swimming Pool will open on July 1. Mill Creek Outdoor Pool will remain closed due to ongoing rehabilitation.
Visitors to outdoor pools are asked to book a time slot on MoveLearnPlay to ensure they can access the pool when they arrive. Access to outdoor pools is free for youth 12 years and under.
The majority of spray parks, including the City Hall fountain, are open for the 2022 summer season.
Looking for a serious participation opportunity? Consider:
- UFest Edmonton Ukrainian Festival - May 27-28
- SHAPE Alberta: Wheel Week - May 30 to June 5
- ParticipACTION: Let's Community Better, Together - June 1-30
- International Children's Festival of the Arts - June 2-5
- Open Streets - June
- Do North Kids of Steel Triathlon - June 18
- Do North Canadian Road Cycling & Community Ride - June 23-27
- Edmonton International Street Performers Festival - July 8-17
- Do North PTO Canadian Open & Age-Group Triathlon - July 23-24
- Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival - August 11-21
- L’Étape Canada Amateur Road Cycling - August 14
- Servus Edmonton Marathon - August 21
- Open Streets - August
- Edmonton Mountain Bike Festival - September 9-11
Watch for an update on "Edmonton's legendary festivals, events and happenings".
The City of Edmonton's Green Shack program will be activated for the 2022 summer season from July 4 - August 25.
At this time, it is uncertain whether the City's Pop Up Play programming will be provided this summer, so watch for updates. If it goes ahead, the City's Program leaders are great at providing a variety of games, challenges and activities that are sure to get kids active and having fun!
Looking for a little more structure? The Sport Council Activity Search allows you to find activities (sport, recreation or dance) for you or your child. To narrow search results you can select the activity of your choice.
Summer is also the time to start thinking about Fall and Winter activities. Remember that especially for team activities, it's better to register as soon as possible. If you're looking for something new, explore Edmonton's many opportunities through the Activity Search.